Saturday, July 28, 2012

You Had Me At 'Salad'

Mom and I discovered something new at the Huntington Beach Farmers Market. The sample was oh so tasty, but I've already got buffalo jerky at home and a plethora of quick snacks now that I'm back to work full time, so why ever would I need to add jerky chips to the mix? As I prepared to walk away (feeling guilty for sampling without buying) the vendor got serious and said 'You know, they make the perfect salad topping.' Well why didn't you spare me the hesitation and guilt and just tell me that right from the get-go, Mister Jerky Man?

Since two is cheaper than one and I'm now a money savvy mama, I walked away with my two bags of jerky chips. The chips only made it onto two salads before my husband discovered them and snacked away. The first salad I premade to take to a summer concert. Two hours later the crispy chips had become soft but they were still tasty. The second salad I made fresh and the chips provided exactly what I wanted out of them- crunch!

I was so excited to have something new to spruce my salads up with until I checked the label of this oven baked jerky goodness...

2.1oz bag = 220 cal
8g protein
4g fat
38g carb
26g sugar
860mg sodium (yikes!)

So my new Farmers Market find makes for a sugary sodium filled snack without much protein at all.And how I didn't realize this upon purchase is beyond me, but these jerky chips are pork, something I rarely care to eat (due more to the remembrance of my childhood pigs Hammer & Abby than anything else).

If you're looking for a yummy treat to your salad give these a try, just don't make a habit of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment