Saturday, July 28, 2012

Back In The Saddle

Today was day two back in the saddle. Teaching Spinning the last two days was a blast with the fit students, the thumping music, and loads of hills & sprints. I was a little nervous to get back in the saddle. But, surprise! True to the popular saying, it turns out riding a bike really is as easy as, well, just getting back on the bike. It felt great to hop back on the (spinning)bike and lead 28 people in a stellar workout after nearly a year off from teaching.

A year ago today I finished my first full distance triathlon- VINEMAN! (More on that later). I swam in a river for 2.4 miles, rode my bike 112 miles through rolling hills and vineyards, then topped it off with a 26.2 mile run through the California countryside. That was truly one of the most fun and memorable days of my entire life. Fast forward exactly one year, twenty pounds, and one baby later (well, baby was in utero at the time) and here I am starting from scratch in terms of fitness. It's humbling and it's exciting all at the same time! It's exciting to think I can now work toward a new goal, improve on a race record, or pick up an old hobby like cycling.

If you've been 'out of the saddle' in your own life, I dare you to hop back on! It's easy to let your favorite hobby become a distant memory as life gets more complicated. Maybe an injury, a major life change, or even complacency brought your passions to an abrupt halt. Whatever the case, find something you miss or something that you love and get back in the saddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment