Sunday, July 29, 2012

Easy Way To Save Money

Why didn't we do this sooner? Truth is we kind of enjoyed blowing our hard earned money on coffee shops, lunches near our workplaces, and dinners out. And all the while we had a fridge full of fresh, healthy foods that we'd spent a small fortune on at the grocery store and Farmers Market. It's about time we stop being so frivolous and start planning- meal planning!

This morning I got out a pencil and paper and made a calendar for the month. For now I'll plan meals about one week in advance to leave us a little flexibility. Next, the three of us headed to the market for the week's items and, what'ya know, we spent significantly less than usual!

The purpose of meal planning for our family is to
1) Save money by not buying more than we'll have a chance to consume. I have a tendancy to buy lots and lots of fruits and veg because it all looks so good. But one can only eat so many lychees!
2) Save money by not going out on a whim. This is often the case when I'm just not wanting to prepare a meal or when it seems like there's no food in the house. We'll now be more inclined to eat at home when I've taken the time to plan a great meal and have all the ingredients waiting for me in the kitchen.
3) Save money by not going out to eat much at all. I'd like to start meeting up with friends in between meals or having them over to enjoy our food with us as opposed to overspending at restaurants as often as we do.

We'll also be eating healthier and spending more time at home as a family- added bonuses!

Try it with me! I challenge you to find a system that works for you and let me know what you discover after a few weeks of meal planning. Below are some tips.

-Consider breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
-Make enough for leftovers
-Get the family/roommates invloved in the planning and sharing the meal preparation
-Use a phone app or the like if it helps you be more organized.
-Stick to the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment