Friday, August 24, 2012

Living In Luon

"Since when did it become the norm for moms to wear their workout clothes all day long?" asks my husband. Well honey they're not just workout clothes nowadays, they're everything clothes. My husband works in a popular retail store that sells double B.O.B. strollers, so needless to say he encounters lots of moms. I work in a gym with both the best childcare and the best exercise classes around, so I also encounter lots of moms. And whether in the gym or out and about running errands these moms are wearing their workout clothes. But it's not just moms who've caught on to the comfort and versatility that a life in luon has to offer. Be it traveling, grocery shopping, jogging, or driving the kids to-and-fro, workout attire is a popular choice among women these days.

Here are just a few of my personal reasons to 'wear my workout' all day long
1) It's usually black, and isn't black flattering?
2) When it's not black it's bright (I'm talking florescent), and can't we all use a little more brightness in our days?
3) I love quick-dry material, especially now that baby drool is my main accessory.
4) I'm always ready to work whether it's helping at the local community garden or doing a surprise set of triceps dips from the kitchen counter while cooking. I'm never caught off guard if I'm in workout clothes.
5) The versatility is unreal. In the right pair of shorts I can literally workout, run around town all day doing what I do, and throw on a cute top and wedges and somehow the 'outfit' looks good! Now I wouldn't do all of this in the same pair of shorts in the same day unless, of course, I washed 'em in between events and let 'em quick-dry in three minutes.
6) Convenience is key and the secret compartments and zip-pockets in my gear are far superior than what jeans have to offer.
7) Kids! Whether it's toting around my baby or wrestling with my more mature 3, 5, and 6 year old nephews, luon, spandex, nor hemp have ever let us down.
8) I work in a gym and dress accordingly.
9) I'm not afraid to drop a pretty penny on a good pair of workout pants. Therefore, I intend to get a lot of wear out of them! The quality of some of this stuff is superior to some of my 'regular' clothes and they never seem to fade or come apart at the seems
10) They grew with me through 60 pounds of pregnancy, got me through the postpartum phase when neither maternity jeans nor pre-pregnancy jeans were cutting it, and those same workout clothes still haven't lost their pizzaz.
11) Comfort. 'Nough said

Sometimes my workout attire is accompanied by a messy bun of hair piled high on my head, but sometimes it comes with sleek straightened hair and the gold necklace bearing my son's initial. Sometimes it carries me miles along the beach at sunrise and sometimes it's slept in, danced in, and yes, even worshiped in at church from time to time! Is this bad? Should I and all the other comfort-crazed women out there leave our luon behind for khakis or slacks? And men, I'd like to hear from you! What do you really think of a sporty looking lady vs. a more prim and proper gal?

My challenge to you ladies out there is to try something new. If you've not experienced the joy that is wearing black stretchy pants to the market- get out there and give it a shot! If this post describes you to a 't' try sprucing it up with a headband, funky top, or cute stud earings.

Well, I happen to be in running shorts and am now motivated to vacume the house. See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment