Friday, August 10, 2012

Phone Call With A 5 Year Old

My silly nephew Hank turned a whopping FIVE years old today! Five years ago we weren't sure he'd even 'make it' as he was born two months early while his parents were on vacation in Arizona. He was in hospital there a long time before being flown to Las Vegas to continue living in a hospital in his hometown while he gained weight and got stronger. But Hank's a fighter and has grown to be a healthy happy kid. I wouldn't say 'normal' kid 'cause my Dad always says there's no fun in being normal, but Hank sure is as bright and skilled as a little guy of his age should be.

I kept trying to call and wish him a happy birthday but first he was at McDonalds for hours playing with Nani, then he was napping, then I tried to call my brother but he was at work. So when I finally reached Hank on Nani's cell he had a heck of a lot to tell me about his birthday!

He had chicken mcnuggets for lunch and an ice cream. He got a bloody nose playing at McDonalds but Nani took good care of him. He asked what I had for breakfast and I told him 'yogurt and fruit' and he excitedly proclaimed 'I had yogurt today too! And I love fruit!' I told him we're coming to his birthday party tomorrow and we have a present for him and he asked if Ari was coming too? And he told me he likes his new house but there's no grass in the backyard, just rocks and stuff.

I don't remember much about being five, but I'm sure Hank will 'cause the kid literally remembers everything. He has one of those super recall memories like his mom. I bet he'll remember that Nani was there, his dog Dracula and his Mommy and Daddy, his Uncle Ryan & Auntie Amanda and Cousin Ari, and Aunt Aspen and all his little friends.

Five years ago my world changed when my brother became a dad (a darn good dad!) and little Hank entered our lives. He brightens my life with his huge grin, infectious laughter, and sweet demeanor. We can't wait to visit him this weekend and laugh and play with him.

Happy Birthday Hank!


No comments:

Post a Comment