Monday, December 3, 2012

Death To The Black Pants

When is it time to throw a pair of pants away- black stretchy yoga pants? About ten years ago while in college I paid good money for two pairs of Victoria's Secret yoga pants. I think they were two for $40, which was a lot for me to spend on pants back then. Gray Pair is still in excellent shape because, well, gray just isn't as flattering as black so they've hardly been worn in ten years. But Black Pair...here is the story of beloved Black Pair.

Black Pair was adopted one day from the mall. It was love at first sight- we made such a great match since Black Pair helped me look long and lean just like anything from Victoria's Secret should do. We were inseparable during those young college years of studying in comfort and attending Kinesiology classes that required the occasional workout. Then we got a job at The Belmont Athletic Club in 2003 and we were together a lot more often. Black Pair really liked the gym so we got another job at Beach Cities Health District's Center For Health & Fitness so that we could be together even more. Then I went to Spain. I brought Black Pair along too and we enjoyed many jogs around Parque del Buen Retiro.

After college we still had many happy times together. I stuffed 'em into my Roxy boots on rainy days, wore 'em to yoga once in awhile, and slipped 'em on over my speedo during my swim phases. But then another brand of workout and comfort wear came into my life and Black Pair got buried in the bottom of the Black Pants Drawer, rarely to be seen. I felt bad, but they just didn't compare to my new loves that never seem to fade or show their wear the way Black Pair has. Black Pair just hasn't aged gracefully.

But lo and behold did they come in handy while pregnant! Black Pair had a rebirth and was suddenly back in the mix making its way back into regular rotation amongst all the others in Black Pants Drawer. That same comfort and coziness I remember from my early college years was back. But oh no! Some moths must've enjoyed Black Pair while I wasn't, 'cause now there's a hole burrowed into one if the seams! I know I didn't split those pants while pregnant, definitely must've been moths or spiders or something in the drawer. Well I continued wearing Black Pair through my pregnancy and that hole didn't budge, thank goodness.

Had I remebered how to sew maybe they'd still be here today. But once the baby was born Black Pair just sagged and didn't do this mama any justice, so they just had to go. I left them on the closet floor for a few days not quite ready to let go. But there's no room for Black Pair anymore- we just don't have room to keep things around for sentimental value. So I said thank you and good bye and tossed Black Pair in the trash.

It seems like the end of an era, but I'm ready for new adventures with new pants of fun bright colors and fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment