Monday, July 15, 2013

Preventative Care

Last week was rough. Tuesday I faced some fears and went to the doctor for preventative measures. What prompted the visit was my desire to stay disease-free and take good care of myself for my own sake and my family. That was a week ago and I'm stuck with this gnarly bruise on my arm from the catheter. I had to 'pump & dump' my breast milk for 48 hours so Baby Boy wouldn't be effected by the iodine used for the CT scan. Watching that milk go down the drain for two days sucked, as did not nursing my baby and missing work for a day of poking and prodding, but at least I know with certainty that at the moment I'm healthy by doctors' standards.

One year ago my 28 year old baby sister was diagnosed with colon cancer. Her fight ended exactly one year later on April 28, 2013. She didn't recognize signs of disease until it was too late. On Tuesday, upon arriving home from a very emotional day at the doctor office I was informed that a dear friend my age has colon cancer. It makes no sense. Healthy young women don't need to get colonoscopies. How could this be?

So although I've never been a big fan of conventional medicine and doctor visits I vow to listen to my body and take action when necessary. This blog will be upbeat 99.9% of the time and I'll get back to pictures of food, fitness and fun. But today I beg you to consider this story and make the vow to take your health into your own hands. Make that doctor appointment today, start eating better, exercising, meditating, or whatever you need to do to be well. And stay tuned for my sister Megan's story because I love to talk about her and it needs to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment