Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Don't Feed The, Uh, Children?

I live in a town full of adorable dogs with their own Facebook fan pages. These dogs skateboard, star in fun parades and costume contests throughout the year, accompany their human parents to fine dining establishments, are blessed by pastors, have beaches named after them, are toted around in doggy strollers, go to doggy day care while their parents are at work, and have owners whipping up homemade gourmet dog food like it's no big deal. Maybe we're such a dogcentric (not a real word) community because Snoop Dogg and Nate Dogg were bred here. Anyway, we in Long Beach California absolutely positively LOVE dogs! So much so that we would be flabbergasted at the idea of feeding someone else's dog a treat or scraps without politely asking permission of the owner first, right?

Why, then, is it okay to feed my human child without asking? He could have allergies. We could have philosophical, religious, and health reasons as to why we do or don't eat certain foods. The bottom line is there's a lot more at stake in feeding a human than potentially ruining his shiny coat.

My 15 month old baby eats A LOT. He is well fed. I promise you he is not hungry. He eats at the table, he eats when he's hungry, and he eats foods we deem nourishing. We always enjoy foods together as a family and as a community with our friends, because we think it's important. He is learning that food is good for the body and good for the soul. I grew up with food behaviors that I do not want to pass on to my son such as mindless eating, emotional eating, and eating nutritionally void foods, but that's a whole other post. So it aggravates me when my baby is given snacks the moment we arrive somewhere. It aggravates me when he is fed 'just because'. But it aggravates me most because a lot of the foods being offered (and I know people mean well, they really do!) are not foods we eat.

I'm not trying to be a food snob here. I grew up on disgusting school lunches and junk food, spent time in third world countries where food can be scarce, and have helped at homeless shelters that offer meals to the public as well as food pantries where families show up willing to take whatever is being handed out that week. Yes, sometimes people just need calories to not go to bed hungry. But that is not my reality right now. I appreciate food and am blessed to have things like fresh California produce and farm fresh eggs available to me. Instead of taking food for granted I value it highly as my family's source of vitality.

We respect signs that read 'Do Not Feed The Wildlife'. Should we make a sign for our baby to wear so he gets the same respect as bears and ducks? That would be silly, so instead I'll be the mama bear to my cute little boy cub and roar, I mean ask, that you don't feed him without asking. I know you all mean no harm at all and are offering food and snacks out of generosity, and I appreciate the gesture. I genuinely respect that you are trying to be kind in offering him food. Please, though, respect if we choose to decline.

It's not always "No thank you." Babs that runs The Belmont Athletic Club Childcare shares her snacks with Ari that she knows we love like fresh veggie sticks. The picture here is of our baby with Chef Timothy of Ari's Natural Foods. One week at Farmers Market Chef Tim asked if he could give our baby Ari a treat, and every week since Ari squeals in delight to go behind the booth and taste all of Chef Tim's delicious samples. See, I'm not a mean and terribly uptight mom, just a little uptight and hoping for some respect when it comes to our family's food choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment